Critical to managing your business is your workers’ ability to legally comply with the Competition and Consumer Act.
This course is designed to provide learners with an understanding of the mandatory industry codes that are prescribed under the Competition Consumer Act (CCA) and about voluntary industry codes.
It introduces the unconscionable conduct provisions of the CCA (contained in the Australian Consumer Law (ACL) in Schedule 2 of the CCA). The course also looks at Part IV of the CCA, which relates to restrictive trade practices.
This course covers the following topics:
- Introduction to restrictive trade practices
- ACCC powers and remedies
- Strictly prohibited restrictive trade practices
- Conditionally prohibited restrictive trade practices
- Misuse of market power
- Industry Codes of Conduct
- Unconscionable conduct
On completing this course, learners should be ab le to:
- Define the policy objectives behind the CCA Part IV restrictive trade practices prohibitions
- Describe the investigative and enforcement powers of the ACCC and the remedies available in the event of contravention of the restrictive trade practices prohibitions
- Explain the difference between strictly prohibited restrictive trade practices and those which are conditionally prohibited
- Identify the important concepts and legal tests used in the context of restrictive trade practices
- Understand the concept of ‘substantially lessening competition’
- Identify practices which may amount to misuse of market power
- Identify relevant industry codes of conduct which may apply in your industry
- Identify examples of what types of conduct would be unconscionable.
By implementing this course your organisation can:
- Ensure workers are aware of their obligations in relation to trade practices and key competitions laws
- Better defend any claims relating to misleading conduct and breaches of the ACL
- Reduce the risk of reputational damage arising from such claims.
The content contained in this course is suitable for all workers in your organisation.
Approximately 75 minutes