This course covers the skills and knowledge required to establish and develop a professional mentoring relationship with a learner. The role of mentor could be undertaken by supervisors, facilitators, colleagues or third parties. The learner could be an apprentice or trainee who is already employed, seeking employment or undertaking work placement.
- Preparing for a mentoring relationship
- Facilitating mentoring relationships
- Monitoring mentoring relationships
- Evaluating mentoring relationships.
On completing this course, learners should be able to:
- Prepare for mentoring relationships
- Describe some principles of adult learning
- Define and explain mentoring and the types of mentoring
- Develop the mentor program
- Describe suggested planning and facilitation steps
- Evaluate mentoring plans and mentoring agreements
- Develop a mentoring agreement
- Match mentors with mentees
- Meet workplace requirements
- Facilitate a mentoring relationship
- Define and explain mentoring skills
- Analyse feedback and questions
- Troubleshoot: prevent and resolve problems
- Describe networking
- Monitor and evaluate mentoring relationships
- Monitor processes
- Close the mentoring relationship
- Define and conduct summative evaluation.
Organisations implementing this course will:
- Have a defined process for mentoring in the workplace
- Increase efficiency and productivity
- Engage, retain and develop employees.
This course is designed to be delivered organisation-wide. It applies to people leading a team, aspiring leaders and those responsible for mentoring in the workplace.
Approximately 60 minutes