Australian organisations are governed by a range of legislation regarding the lawful collection, storage, use and disposal of information. It is critical that your workers understand your organisation’s obligation to adhere to these legislative requirements.
This course has been designed to provide training about workers’ obligations under federal privacy legislation. In this course, you will learn how to collect, use, store and disclose personal information in accordance with the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988. The content is delivered using simple language and graphic storytelling to engage the learner and improve knowledge retention.
This course was created in partnership with award-winning Australian law firm Lander & Rogers.
By implementing this course your organisation can:
- reduce the incidence of breaches of privacy law
- protect your organisational brand and reputation from damage related to breaches of privacy law
- deliver comprehensive and cost-effective privacy training to a wide range of individuals in the workplace
- strengthen employee engagement by implementing best practice compliance with privacy laws.
This course covers the following topics:
- The Commonwealth Privacy Act
- Laws governing the collection, use and disclosure of personal and sensitive information
- The Australian Privacy Principles (APPs)
- Who the Privacy Act applies to
- Exemptions to the Privacy Act
- Data and information security
- Consequences of breaching privacy law and data losses.
On completing this course, learners should be able to:
- describe the sources of privacy law in Australia and why privacy law is important
- identify information protected by privacy law, and information that is subject to additional regulation
- apply the appropriate privacy guidelines when collecting, using, storing and disclosing private information
- identify how privacy law might be breached
- list the consequences of breaching privacy law
- outline how to manage breaches of privacy.
The content contained in this course is suitable for:
- public and private sector workers
- workers, executives and board members at all levels of an organisation.
Approximately 40 minutes