As we announced last month, we’re ending support for Internet Explorer 8 on 1 July 2015. Most of our clients have made the switch already, and the vast majority of the remaining ones are on track to upgrade – which is great to hear.
A quick recap to the main reasons we’re moving away from Internet Explorer 8:
- Microsoft is not supporting Internet Explorer 8 as of January 2015. They are responsible for the development of the browser, and as a result we cannot support the browser if the creators themselves do not support it anymore.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 is less secure. Trust and security are incredibly important to us at Learning Seat. There have been multiple security vulnerabilities discovered in these older browsers, and now that Microsoft is no longer supporting Internet Explorer 8, any newly discovered security issues will not be fixed. This puts everyone at greater risk.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 is not HTML5 compatible. Internet Explorer 8 was released in 2009 and does not support the rich internet apps our customers have come to expect. HTML5 is the new industry standard and the technology we are investing in moving forward. It supports mobile devices, does not rely on plug-ins and provides a faster customer experience.
- Our customers are moving to newer and more secure browsers. Less than 18% of our users are using Microsoft Internet Explorer 8. Our customers are trending towards newer and more secure browsers, and we want to develop features that best serve our community and protect them from vulnerabilities.
Some of our clients have asked whether we will block access for users using Internet Explorer 8 to the learning management system. Definitely not!
Whilst users may still be able to access our learning management system using Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 after July 2015, new and/or existing features and functionality may no longer work with these browsers. In addition, bugs or performance issues that appear only when using Internet Explorer 8 will not be investigated or fixed by Learning Seat after this time. Additionally, you will be at significant risk of having any credentials compromised by not upgrading.
After 1 July 2015, here’s the list of supported browsers and operating systems:
Our list of supported browsers are:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 9, 10 & 11
- Mozilla Firefox, most recent stable version
- Google Chrome, most recent stable version
- Apple Safari versions 5.x and 6.x on Mac OS X
Supported Operating Systems
Our list of supported Operating Systems are:
- Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1
- Mac OS X 10.7 and above
Please note we do not support virtualised environments such as Citrix.
You can read Microsoft’s announcement here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/end-of-support.aspx
Learning Seat Support is always available to answer any questions you may have about this change. We appreciate your business and look forward to working with you during this transition to support your success.