Introduction to Bed Safety
This course aims to explore safer bed systems and provide you with an awareness of the potential cause of injury to a person in a bed recommended by therapists or used at facilities.
Ideal for occupational therapists and physiotherapists who are conducting bed assessments for clients in the disability sector, Introduction to Bed Safety will provide you with an outline of issues to consider when prescribing beds for people with disabilities. It will highlight safety concerns and provide a guide for clinical reasoning.
At the successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Explore bed safety to alert you to the dangers of injury resulting in entrapments in beds where bed rails are used.
- Perform individual assessment for a bed system.
- Provide information about equipment options that are available.
- Identify the different zones of entrapment in a bed.
- Know the different standards that govern bed safety.
- Provide alternative solutions where applicable.
Introduction to Harness Safety
The correct prescription and application of seating supports is vital if prescribers are to ensure that the people who use them are seated for optimum function and utmost safety.
If seating supports are not prescribed or applied correctly, it is possible that airway safety may be compromised.
Developed with the assistance of the Scope Victoria Harness Safety Working Group and Yooralla, and funded by the Department of Human Services (DHS), this course provides an overview of the issues and safety considerations relating to the safe use of postural harnesses for those working with people who wear harnesses.
Introduction to Harness Safety is ideal for therapists and other professionals who prescribe wheelchair and seating systems. It outlines the risks associated with the use of harnesses and details how to best minimise these risks.
On completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Explain the importance of harness safety.
- Explain the importance of expert prescription for seating systems and postural supports.
- Identify how to safely apply, remove, and maintain the harness.
- Educate and train relevant team members including family, carers and teachers.