What is changing?
Microsoft has announced that they are ending support of Internet Explorer 8 in January 2015. Learning Seat will also stop supporting this browser as of July 2015.
Why are we ending support?
There are four key reasons why we are ending support:
- Microsoft is not supporting IE8 as of January 2015. They are responsible for the development of the browser, and as a result we cannot support the browser if the creators themselves do not support it anymore.
- IE8 is less secure. Trust and security are incredibly important to us at Learning Seat. There have been multiple security vulnerabilities discovered in these older browsers, and now that Microsoft is no longer supporting IE8, any newly discovered security issues will not be fixed. This puts everyone at greater risk.
- IE8 is not HTML5 compatible. IE8 was released in 2009 and does not support the rich internet apps our customers have come to expect. HTML5 is the new industry standard and the technology we are investing in moving forward. It supports mobile devices, does not rely on plug-ins and provides a faster customer experience.
- Our customers are moving to newer and more secure browsers. Less than 18% of our users are using IE8. Our customers are trending towards newer and more secure browsers, and we want to develop features that best serve our community and protect them from vulnerabilities.
Here’s a view of our Browser Usage for LearnConnect
And the 6-month average (From 1 July 2014 to 31 December 2014)
What does this mean for your organisation?
Even if you’re not a client of Learning Seat’s, if you’re using Internet Explorer 8 or below you are putting yourself and your organisation at significant risk. There are significant vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer 8 which will not be fixed, the most severe allows malicious people to hijack and decrypt a secure session cookie in order to take over any accounts you use without needing a password. This includes compromising banking, email and other online credentials.
What action do you need to take?
Learning Seat is phasing out support for Internet Explorer 8 and below, and will be terminating support on 1 July 2015. We are giving 6-month advance notice to ensure you have as much time as possible to plan for alternative strategies. We strongly recommend that you and your company’s IT administrators upgrade to one of our supported browsers prior to July 2015.
Our list of supported browsers are:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 9, 10 & 11
- Mozilla Firefox, most recent stable version
- Google Chrome, most recent stable version
- Apple Safari versions 5.x and 6.x on Mac OS X
Supported Operating Systems
Our list of supported Operating Systems are:
- Microsoft Windows Vista and above
- Mac OS X 10.7 and above
Please note we do not support virtualised environments such as Citrix.
How can I determine which of my users are still on IE8?
- Login to LearnConnect and click Reports > Custom Reports.
- Select the “Log-On Session” Report Type.
- Add the columns “Operating System”, “Browser” and “Browser Version”
- Add any additional columns you would like.
- Run the Report and Export it in Excel format (.xlsx).
You will now have a list of all your users’ Operating Systems, Browsers and the Browser Version.
Any users with Windows XP or Internet Explorer 8 and below will need to upgrade their Operating System and Browsers.
What happens if I take no action?
While users may still be able to access LearnConnect using IE8 or Windows XP, after July 2015, new and/or existing features and functionality may no longer work with these browsers. In addition, bugs or performance issues that appear only when using IE8 or Windows XP will not be investigated or fixed by Learning Seat after this time. Additionally, you will be at significant risk of having any credentials compromised by not upgrading.
How can I get more information?
Learning Seat Support is always available to answer any questions you may have about this change. We appreciate your business and look forward to working with you during this transition to support your success.
To contact Learning Seat support, please call 1300 133 151 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.