Would you and your team know how to comply with the Victorian Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities (the Charter)?
This course provides council workers with the information they need to ensure your council meets its obligations under the Charter. The content includes a range of likely workplace scenarios to demonstrate the purpose of the Charter and how to implement it in your organisation.
This course covers the following topics:
- the purpose of the Charter
- obligations under the Charter
- implementing the Charter
- using the ‘Think Charter’ approach
- detecting a human rights breach
- how to manage a human rights breach claim.
On completing this course, learners should be able to:
- identify what human rights are
- explain the importance of protecting human rights
- identify the purpose of the Charter
- list the rights protected by the Charter
- list their responsibilities in relation to the Charter
- state the consequences of breaching Charter obligations
- summarise best practice for handling a human rights breach claim
- identify where to seek help if they think a human right is being breached.
By implementing this course your organisation can:
- meet its obligations under the Charter
- protect its reputation from damage related to breaches of human rights
- ensure your workers are familiar and compliant with the Charter
- reduce the incidence of human rights breaches.
The content contained in this course is suitable for workers at all levels of local councils in Victoria.
Approximately 30 minutes