Did you know that everyday work activities such as typing on a keyboard, stacking shelves and operating a register are considered manual handling tasks? Or that manual handling injuries are among the most common injuries in Australian workplaces?
Manual handling activities can involve lifting, pushing, pulling, and repetitive and extended movement; whenever you perform these activities, there is the potential for injury. Manual handling injuries can have a negative impact on your organisation, but with comprehensive training and increased awareness, the risks can be reduced.
This course demonstrates the dangers of performing manual handling tasks in the workplace, and provides guidance and instruction on how to identify potential risks and safely approach manual handling activities.
Using a range of contextualised workplace scenarios set across the various branches of a fictional organisation, this course demonstrates safe approaches to performing manual handling activities in your organisation.
This course covers the following topics:
- manual handling activities
- workers’ and organisations’ legal obligations and responsibilities
- manual handling injuries and prevention
- risk and hazard identification
- risk assessment.
On completing this course, learners should be able to:
- describe the importance of safe manual handling
- describe how health and safety laws apply to themselves and others
- identify some common manual handling hazards and the associated risks and how to deal with them
- identify some common manual handling injuries and what can be done to help prevent them
- assess manual handling risks and use effective consultation to improve that assessment.
By implementing this course your organisation can:
- reduce the number of manual handling-related injuries in your workplace
- minimise the risk of workplace injury due to manual handling tasks
- help to protect your organisation’s brand and reputation
- achieve high standards of safety in your workplace
- promote the importance of carrying out regular risk assessments.
The content contained in this course is suitable for:
- workers in the private and public sectors
- workers across all industries
- workers at all levels of an organisation.
Approximately 30 minutes